My Shopping List
Courtesy of Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 3 c. penne pasta, whole-wheat, dry (12 oz.)
+ 1 tsp. granulated garlic
+ 2 c. fresh broccoli florets
+ 1 c. cooked diced chicken, 1/2-in. pieces (4 oz.)
+ 1 1/2 c. fat-free half and half
+ 1 Tbsp. enriched all-purpose flour
+ 1/8 c. low-sodium chicken broth
+ 1 tsp. salt
+ 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
+ 1/2 c. reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (2 oz.)
+ 1/2 c. low-fat mozzarella cheese, low-moisture, part-skim, shredded (2 oz.)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well. Toss
pasta with 1/2 teaspoon garlic.
3. Fill a medium pot with water and bring to a boil. Add broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Drain well.
Sprinkle with remaining garlic.
4. Transfer pasta and broccoli to a medium casserole dish (about 8 x 11-in.) coated with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken. Mix well.
5. In a small mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup half and half with flour. Whisk to remove lumps.
6. In a medium skillet, heat chicken broth, salt, pepper, and remaining half and half. Stir constantly. Stir in half and half/flour mixture. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to low. Stir frequently for 5 minutes. Sauce
will thicken. Add cheese and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Pour sauce over broccoli/pasta mixture.
8. Cover casserole dish with lid or with foil. Bake at 350°F for 8 minutes. Heat to an internal temperature of 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Remove from oven. Serve hot.
For more recipes or information, please visit teamnutrition.usa.gov
Calories: 300; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 26mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 19g; Sodium: 418mg;