Fried IdahoŽ Potato Salad
Courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 15 Min.
Chill Time: 1 Hr.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 5 lb. IdahoŽ Potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-in. dice
+ 1-1/2 c. cornichon, sliced
+ 5 c. sweet onion, small dice
+ 5 c. celery, small dice
+ 1-1/4 c. flat leaf parsley, chopped
+ 2-1/2 c. mayonnaise, plain
+ 1-1/4 c. buttermilk
+ 1-1/4 tsp. white pepper, ground
+ 1 tsp. kosher salt, to taste
+ 5 c. mashed potatoes, prepared, seasoned, warm
+ Seasoned flour for breading, as needed
+ As needed: Mixture of 2 c. egg whites and 2c. buttermilk, whisked well for breading
+ As needed: Idahoan Instant-Mash Potato Flakes for breading
What to do:
1. Cover diced IdahoŽ potatoes with cold water and add 1 Tbsp. kosher salt. Bring to a boil and cook until just tender. Drain and shock to cool.
2. Combine cooled potatoes with remaining ingredients through mashed potatoes in a large bowl and mix gently but completely. Taste for seasoning. Refrigerate 1 hr. until well chilled.
3. Prepare pans of flour seasoned with salt and pepper, egg white/ buttermilk mixture and Idahoan Instant Mash Potato Flakes for breading.
4. Using a 1/3 c. scoop, drop portions of potato salad into the seasoned flour, coat well and shake off excess flour. Dip floured potato salad into buttermilk mixture and finally roll in potato flakes. Deep fry 350°F for 15-20 seconds until crispy on the outside and still cold inside.
* Recipe courtesy of Susan Goss, Executive Chef/Coowner, West Town Tavern, Chicago, IL