Creole Cod Cake Sliders with Cajun Tartar Sauce
Courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
Prep Time: 25 Min.
Cook Time: 15 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1/2 c. canned, fresh or frozen corn kernels
+ 3/4 c. regular or low-fat mayonnaise
+ 1/2 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
+ 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
+ 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
+ 1 tsp. mustard (or spicy mustard)
+ 1 lb. Alaska Cod fillets, fresh, thawed or frozen
+ 1/2-1 tsp. chipotle chili powder (or to taste)
+ 1/2 tsp. pepper
+ 1/2 tsp. onion powder
+ 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
+ 1/4 tsp. salt
+ 1/2 c. fresh bread crumbs (1-2 slices of bread, torn into small pieces)
+ 1 egg, beaten
+ 1 tsp. minced garlic
+ 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
+ 2 tsp. olive oil
+ 8 slider buns, toasted
+ 1 c. shredded lettuce or cabbage
What to do:
1. Mix together ingredients for tartar sauce; cover and refrigerate until serving.
2. Fill a large sauté pan or stockpot with enough water to cover seafood; bring to a simmer. Rinse any ice glaze from frozen Alaska Cod under cold water. Turn off heat and gently add seafood to water; return heat to a simmer. Once simmering, cover pan tightly and cook 4-5 min. for frozen seafood or 2 min. for fresh/thawed fish. Turn off heat and let seafood rest in liquid for 5 min., or until seafood is opaque throughout. Remove cod from water; cool slightly and flake into small pieces.
3. In a small bowl, mix together chipotle powder, pepper, onion powder, thyme and salt. In a larger bowl, place cod flakes, fresh bread crumbs, egg and garlic. Sprinkle on seasoning blend; mix thoroughly. Form mixture into 8 cod cakes. Sauté cakes in olive oil until browned on both sides. Keep warm.
4. Spread about 1 Tbsp. tartar sauce on bottom halves of slider buns. Top each with about 2 Tbsp. lettuce and a cod cake. Spoon on additional 1 Tbsp. of tartar sauce; close with bun tops.
* Each serving equals 2 sliders.
* Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
Calories: 361; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 96mg; Total Carbs: 1g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 424mg;