My Shopping List
Sonoma-Style Beef Skewers
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 25 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 lb. boneless beef top sirloin steak,cut 1-in. thick
+ 1 lb. swiss chard
+ 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
+ 1 medium onion, chopped
+ 1 tsp.minced garlic
+ 1/4 c. water
+ 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
+ 3 c. cooked whole grain or regular orzo
+ 2 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts (optional)
+ 4 large plum tomatoes
+ 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin oil
+ 3 cloves garlic, minced
+ 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
+ 1/2 tsp. ground cardamon
+ 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
+ 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
What to do:
1. Prepare Sauce. Place tomatoes on grid over medium-high coals. Grill, uncovered, 9-11 min. or until skins are completely blackened, turning frequently. Remove and discard skins from tomatoes. Finely chop tomatoes; place in medium bowl. Add remaining sauce ingredients; season with salt, as desired. Set aside.
2. Cut beef steak into 8 equal pieces. Combine Seasoning ingredients in large bowl. Add beef; toss to coat. Soak four 6-in. bamboo skewers in water 10 min.; drain. Thread 2 beef pieces onto each skewer, leaving small space between pieces.
3. Place skewers on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 10-14 min. (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 9-13 min.) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, remove and finely chop Swiss chard stems and ribs. Thinly slice chard leaves. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; cook and stir 4-5 min. or until tender. Add chard stems and leaves in batches, if necessary; cook and stir about 2 min. or until leaves are wilted. Add garlic; cook and stir about 20 sec. Add water; cover and cook 3-5 min. or until stems are tender. Season with salt.
5. Combine orzo with chard mixture; divide among 4 bowls. Top each with 1 beef skewer; spoon some sauce on top. Garnish with pine nuts, if desired. Serve with remaining sauce.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 573; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 49mg; Total Carbs: 61g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 38g; Sodium: 545mg;